Kanakasavam is an ayurvedic prepration in liquid form used effectively in the treatment of respiratory disorders like cough, ashthma, and fever.
This formulation contains purified dhatura as its main ingredient which has an anti –allergic, anti –inflammatory, mucolytic and a powerful bronchodilator. It gives relief from an acute attack of asthma and increases the airflow to the lungs by dilating and relaxing the bronchial passages. It is an expectorant, induces sleep and is anti spasmodic.
The action of kanakasava is mainly on the kapha dosha.It is hot in potency and helps in liquefaction of the soilidified and obstructed kapha in the respiratory passages.
Due to its hot potency, it also aids in digestion and abdominal colic.
- Productive cough
- Chronic fever
- Whooping cough
- Chest injury
Recommended diet and lifestyle:
- Do not take spicy and sour food while taking this medication.
- Avoid pickles, alcohol and junk food
- Avoid exposure to sun light
10-20 ml or as directed by the physician
- Kanaka (Purified and processed Datura metel)
- Vrushamoola – Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Yashtimadhu (Glyzzirhiza glabra)
- Pippali (piper longum)
- Vyahgri – Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum)
- Keshara – Nagakeshara (Mesua ferrea)
- Vishvabheshaja – Shunti (Zingiber officinale)
- Bharngi (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Talisapatra (Abies webbiana)
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa)
- Sharkara (Sugar )
Kshaudra (Honey )
Kanakasava may not be taken in following cases:
- Tachycardia (Fast Heart Rate)
- Person suffering from bleeding disorder
- Elevated intraocular pressure
- Patients with pacemaker
- In children under 5 years of age
- A high dosage may causestomach irritation and loose stools.
- It is better to buy kanakasavamfrom reputed ayurvedic companies as improperly purified Dhatura may cause poisoning.
- This medicine contains 5-10% self generated alcohol in it. Hence should be diluted according to the age and strength of each individual.
- This medicine contains sugar , so should be taken only under a doctor's guidance by a diabetic patient.
- It is always better to consult an ayurvedic physician before taking any ayurvedic medicine.
Swasanandam Gulika Tablet is a medicine with both herbal and mineral ingredients.
This medicines pacifies the kapha and vata dosha. It pacifies breathing difficulty by clearing the mucus off the passages in the respiratory tract.
1 or 2 pills can be chewed or taken with any adjuvant.
Anupana (co – drink):
- Warm water
- Jeera water
- Any suitable kashayam or arishtam
- Shuddha Hingula – Purified and processed Cinnabar (An ore of Mercury and Sulphur)
- Karpoora (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Vatsanabha – Purified and processed Aconitum ferox
- Hareetaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Vibheetaki(Terminalia bellirica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
SwasanandamGulika is possibly safe and well-tolerated in most of the patients.
- It is advisable to take this medicine under the supervision of an ayurvedic physician.